Guidance and Counselling
The Guidance programme commences from the time a student enters St.Aloysius College.Junior-cycle classes receive guidance in such areas as:
- the transition from Primary School to Secondary School.
- study skills
- learning to take responsibility
- the positive appreciation of school organisation and the discipline code.
In the Senior Cycle the above programme is expanded to include:
- career and vocational guidance at a personal level.
- realistic appraisal of aptitudes and academic potential.
- comprehensive information on Third Level Education and training.
The guidance and counselling process aims to help students to grow in self knowledge and self esteem by helping them:
- To understand their abilities,interests and special aptitudes.
- To acquire information about educational and vocational opportunities.
- To make and carry out appropriate choices and plans.
The objectives of the guidance programme are not only framed by reference to the legislative requirements,but are also referenced by the good practices disseminated by the Institute of Guidance Counsellors and the National Centre for Guidance in Education.Guidance in the school is viewed as a continual development process.